Sunday, August 14, 2005

From Man-Date to Girl-Crush: The NYT has an article on girl crushes, which I had never heard of, but apparently the term is commonly used (I feel so out of the loop.) Basically, "it refers to that fervent infatuation that one heterosexual woman develops for another woman who may seem impossibly sophisticated, gifted, beautiful or accomplished. And while a girl crush is, by its informal definition, not sexual in nature, the feelings that it triggers - excitement, nervousness, a sense of novelty - are very much like those that accompany a new romance." I kind of understand, especially the novelty part of it-- there have been several people I just felt I really connected with. But I do think its a little weird to refer to it as a crush, because it just seems to be a racier term for friend (though I can't say I've felt nervousness around a new friend, especially not the way several women in the article describe it), or maybe a soulmate of the non-romantic variety (a la Anne of Green Gables). I wonder if the term was just fueled by guys' wishful thinking...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home