Thursday, August 25, 2005

Observations and Experiences from my first week in Law School: (Since I haven't had that much time to get you the news, I thought I'd give you a little insight into my experience so far).

1) The classrooms are really cold. I think its so that we think professors are giving us goosebumps with their inspiring lectures.
2) People are not actually soulless bloodsuckers as I had feared... they're actually really nice!
3) Exception to point 2: there is this one girl out to get me... everytime I sit down, she sits at the same table, and proceeds to do things like play her music so loud that my chair starts to vibrate even though she's wearing headphones; or she sets up her complicated bookstand up and takes it down, then sets it up again, and takes it down again, banging the desk each time; or she whisper-reads... much worse than lipmoving, she actually reads outloud; or she chomps on candy bar after candy bar, leaving the wrappers all over the table as if to stake territory (except I was here first, you nutcase!). Right now, she is frantically cleaning her computer, a task she has been busy doing for a solid 15 minutes straight. Oh, I thought she had stopped, but she just got out another cloth. If I throttle her, I'm sure everyone will understand there were mitigating circumstances (that's some legalese thrown in there... see, I'm catching on.) It has now been 20 minutes, and she's still at it. She just put the computer into her bag three times and took it out again 5 seconds later. Now she's back to cleaning. Clearly she's obsessive compulsive, but maybe she's not a law student but an escaped mental patient one of our professors is representing???
4) Speaking of crazy people, my professors are a little cooky themselves. I've got Todd the Bod, aka the Silver Fox, Lewyn ("as in ruin" according to him--he also told us to fear him like a man fears a bear), and my small section teacher, who I don't think held anything back, but told us her life story during our first class yesterday, including a 15 minute exposition on Chuck Norris (a client). Then, she went around the room and asked us about ourselves, and when she got to me, she asked if my dad was single and whether he was seeing anyone. (Since 3 people from my 12 person section commented on this as the weirdest part of class yesterday, I feel like its not just me, that is definitely noteworthy.) But I love it, the profs definitely keep it interesting, to say the least!
5) There is lots of free alcohol. I think its a plan to keep us drunk long enough to get over the shock of paying $35,000 in tuition (tuition is due by Monday).
(Update on crazy OCD girl: she's back to putting the computer in the bag and taking it out. Now she's back to cleaning. It's been 40 minutes. I'm going to get alcohol, but I'll be back in an hour to check if she's still here.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home